Friends In this article, we are going to tell you about leg workouts for men & women, how you can exercise at home or in the gym or anywhere so, stay with this article and read it carefully.
And you will get the necessary information related to leg workouts to gain fast muscles of legs, after which you can train your leg very easily.
So let’s start…..
Many of them who goes to the gym usually dislike training their legs. Some people who prefer to train only their upper body and completely skip the lower are lovingly labeled as t-shirt trainer.
But this t-shirt trainer misses the benefits of muscle growth of training of bigger legs. There is nothing more ridiculous than to see a guy in the gym with a well-developed upper body with toothpick legs.
So to wipe off the t-shirt trainer follow these exercises for building big & Strong legs. It is important to know that leg workouts is an important part to increase the leg muscle fast.
So now we are here to tell you about the muscle part, that you have to exercise. The majority of the muscles in the leg act as long muscle as they contract and relax they can move skeletal bones. The largest muscle masses in the leg are present in the thigh and calf.
Here the discussion is about the workout for bigger legs, their function, location in the body with some exercise for each of the legs.
First, let’s see the types of muscle part of the leg:
Quadriceps: This muscle is in the front part of the leg.
Adductors: This muscle is part of the inside of the leg.
Hamstring: This muscle part is behind the leg
Also an addition to this, the top part of our leg is known as glutes whereas the lower part of the leg is called calves.
To form Quadriceps muscles an exercise is done where you bend down your legs and bend downwards. As Quadriceps muscle is the largest muscle part of the legs, you need to work hard for that. Generally, the quadriceps become weak after injury or any surgery. So to have a recovery its necessary to learn this muscle group. Additionally, it describes four muscles located on the front of the thigh.
These four quad muscles have individual names and located in a different position.
Vastusintermedius: The location of this muscle is at the deepest part of the quad muscle, located below the other three.
VastusMedialis: Located at the inner portion of the thigh and completes near the kneecap.
VastusLateralis: Located at the outer portion of the thigh. Rectus Femoris: It is in the intermediate of vastusmedialis and vastuslateralis and on the top of the thigh.
As Vastusmedialisobliqus may be weak and so the special focus is given to these quad exercises.
Straight Leg Raising Workout
The procedure to perform Straight leg raising workout:
- On a flat surface, lie down on your back. One leg must be kept at 90 degrees and the foot should be flat to surface, whereas another leg is kept straight without the knee bent.
- Now slowly lift the straight leg 12 inches up from the surface by contracting the front thigh muscle and hold it for 5-6 seconds.
- Slowly put down the leg to the floor and repeat this for 10 to 15 times.
Some points to keep in mind while performing this exercise: The knee of the straight leg must remain straight throughout the exercise. Focus on lifting by using the muscles on the front of your hip joint.
Short Arc Quads Workout
When it’s a matter of contracting the quadriceps muscle it’s a great way to exercise Short Arc Quads.
The procedure to perform Short Arc Quads:
- Lie down on your back, and keep a paper towel roll to keep your knee up.
- Until the bent knee becomes straight to try to straighten them slowly. Now tightly hold the quad muscle for 5 seconds.
- Slowly lower your leg down and repeat these for 15 times.
Some points to keep in mind while performing this exercise: Keep in mind that you try to lift and lower the leg in slow, also make sure that the back of the knee stays against the bolster. Try to contract your quad and straighten the knee when your knee is fully straight.
Wall Slides Workout
This exercise covers up multiple muscle groups like calf muscle, glutes, and quads.
The procedure to perform Wall Slide Workout
- Stand straight keeping your back facing the wall and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly and steady bend the knees, sliding your back down the wall for count 5 seconds until knees are at a 45-degree angle.
- Keep for 5 seconds.
- Now straight knees by sliding up the wall until you are fully upright with knees straight.
- Repeat these steps for 10 more times.
Some points to keep in mind while performing this exercise: The most important thing doesn’t squat too low, which results in excessive pain and stress. Also squatting too low make difficult to rise back up.
Terminal Knee Extension Workout
A simple way to strengthen the quads in a standing position. As the quads will be working while supporting the body weight, consider it as functional exercise. The requirement for performing the Terminal Knee Extension is a resistance band.
Having a resistance band now you are ready to perform the exercise:
- Tie the resistance band with some stable object.
- Now add a leg inside the loop which you want to exercise.
- Facing the anchor point with a resistance band around your knee and your knee slightly bent.
- Now applying some tension on the band, slowly straighten your leg. The use of the resistance band is to provide some resistance when you try to straighten the leg.
- Once the knee becomes straight, and no tension on the band holds that position for 3 seconds.
- Again repeat to slightly bend the knee and repeat this exercise 15 times.
Some points to keep in mind while performing this exercise: The main important thing to keep in mind during this exercise is to ensure that your knee should move directly towards the toes, and should not deviate from the plane of motion.
The adductor muscle located in the inner thigh is a hip adductor muscle that controls the thigh bones’ ability to move freely from side to side and inward. There is three powerful muscle of human thigh Adductor longus, Adductor Brevis and Adductor Magnus.
Originating at the pubis and ischium, these ribbon-like muscles are present along the thighbone. Usually, while squeezing the thighs together they also assist in rotation and flexion of the thigh. When any strain comes in an adductor longus muscle it becomes difficult to walk, and also cause pain while seating. It is long and triangular.
Try these 3 leg exercises to become a durable athlete.
Single-Leg Glute Bridge w/ Med Ball Squeeze
- Lie face-up on the floor with knees bent and feet on the floor.
- Now place the med ball between the knees. This exercise should start having one leg straight and other bent having a med ball between both knees.
- Maintaining the squeeze and straight leg, now perform a glute bridge with the bent leg.
Adductor Plank Workout
Among 99 unique exercises of an athlete, the Adductor plank is the one. This is one of the best exercises that has several variations to make them increasingly difficult. The requirement of this exercise is a bench or a box.
- In this exercise make sure your elbow is beneath your shoulder and must be a straight line from shoulder to heel.
- Your elbow should be at 90 degrees and everything that is hips, knees, shoulders, and feet must be properly positioned.
- To work on an adductor, place the foot on the top of the bench and perform slide plank which will hover the hips and a bottom leg to the ground.
- This position must behold for 10-20 seconds per side and perform 3-4 sets.
Goblet Cossack Squat Workout
While working with the frontal plane Cossack Squat is the best exercise to hit adductors. Its main part is for body weight and by lifting the dumbbells it will toughly hit the adductors.
- Stand in a position as a wide stance with toes pointing forward and slightly outward.
- With the elbows pinched and pointing towards earth hold a dumbbell in a goblet position.
- Try to maintain an upright torso with square shoulders and hips, and until your elbow hits the top of the thigh continue bending towards one leg.
This sequence performs for 8-15 reps per leg as well for 2-4 sets.
People don’t like to train the hamstrings as they think that abs, chest, and quads are the major parts to train. Hamstrings are the predominant muscle that you want to train. Hamstrings are the largest muscle groups in the body and can show how successful you are with all your lower body exercises.
Normally, the hamstrings consist of three main muscle the semimembranosus, the semitendinosus, and the biceps femoris. The biceps femoris includes two separate heads, a long head, and a short head. Also, hip extension involves the semis and long head as they originate at the ischial tuberosity in the pelvis.
It is like Hamstring is an opposing muscle group to Quadriceps but that doesn’t mean that when one muscle is working, the other is idle. Both have the same importance and so Hamstrings and Quadriceps work together, to stand, you must exhibit both hip extension and knee extension.
This is the greatest tool for the hamstrings as it is a combination of heavyweight, multi-joint action, and hip extension.
- Keep feet shoulder-width apart and arms outside of the legs.
- Push the hips back as far as possible and bend your knee to reach the bar.
- Keep your spine as tall as possible and pull the bar from the ground by standing tall and pulling the hips back to your standing position.
- After this lower the bar back to the ground and push your hips back to the original position.
- Repeat 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps.
This muscle exercise is so simple that anyone can perform it to pack the muscles.
- Lie on your back keeping feet flat towards the ground and shoulder-width apart with legs bent at 90 degrees.
- Pushing heels to the ground, lift your torso and upper legs into the air, extending your hips until your thighs and torso are in line with each other.
- Consequently, squeeze your glutes.
- Repeat each step and hold for a 2-sec count.
Barbell Hip Thrust Exercise
Similar to Glute Bridge adding new functionality of increased load for the hip extension.
- Sit on the ground, keep your shoulder blades against the bench, feet flat towards the ground, shoulder-width apart and knees bent.
- Now the dumbbell should be across the front of your hips.
- Hold the bar and squeeze the glutes to raise the hips off the ground and also raise the bar off the floor.
- Pause this exercise when the torso and thighs are in line with each other.
- Do 3 sets of 8-10.
Slider/Swiss Ball Leg Curl Exercise
The best part of this exercise is it’ll build your lower body with only bodyweight and gravity.
- Lie flat on the ground with feet flat and shoulder-width apart.
- Now, place the back of your heels on the two sliders.
- Pull your heels back as far as possible, bending your heels.
- After some seconds pause it and push them back so legs are now straight.
- Do 3 sets of 10 to 12.
Kettlebell Swing Exercise
This exercise can be done in routine also. The kettlebell swing is similar to bodyweight broad jump where you load your hips and hamstrings then forcing you to explode your pelvis and hips forward into extension. This exercise has the best advantage that it trains your upper as well as mid-back.
- Stand straight with legs apart and a kettlebell in front of you.
- Now lift the kettlebell with both hands and lift the hips as much as possible to swing the bell back between the legs.
- At this stage keep your back straight and from the loaded position, explodes your hips forward, squeezing your glutes and propelling your arms straight out in front of you.
- Once the kettlebell is at eye level your torso should stay rigid. After that let the momentum of kettlebell descends and push your hip back for another swing.
- Do 3 sets of 12 to 15.
Glute Ham Raise Workout
The glute-ham raise machine is a go-to posterior chain move.
- Keeping the largest pad just above the knee, fix yourself into the glute-ham raise machine.
- Slowly lean forward with the controlled tall posture as far down as possible.
- Pull your body back up to the tall kneeling position.
Calf Strengthening Exercise
The muscle present on the back of the lower leg extending between your ankle and a knee, are collectively known as calves. It possesses various functionality including the ability to stand on your toes, as well as rotating your feet inward and outward.
The two calf muscles are gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. The gastrocnemius gives the calf rounded shape whereas soleus is flatter, longer muscle running beneath the gastrocnemius and lower down your leg.
This is a strong muscle group which includes two muscle head that terminates to form Achilles tendon at heel. The calf muscle is important during activities such as walking, jumping and running. It is dangerous for muscular strain and injuries. So it’s necessary to work on calf muscle as soon as possible to prevent the loss of muscle mass.
There are 4 best exercises for strengthening your calves:
Double Leg Calf Raise Exercise
It raises the use of bodyweight to strengthen and tone the gastrocnemius and soleus.
- Stand near a wall for balance and stand in an athlete’s way where your hips, ankles, and knees are in vertical alignment to protect your joints.
- Pull your body upward pushing your feet balls to the ground and maintain to keep your abdominal muscles pulled upward or straight rather than shifting your body forward or backward.
Variations of double leg calf raise are Start standing on a stair and Add weight to add intensity.
Single-Leg Calf Raise Exercise
From the name of the exercise, it suggests performing the calf raise by doing it on one leg.
- Stand on one leg near the wall for balance keeping other leg bent behind you.
- Make sure that your hip, knees, and ankles are in vertical alignment to protect your joints.
- The same process you have to follow here that is pulling the body upward, pressing the feet balls downwards and lift the abdominal muscle straight which avoids shifting the body forward or backward.
Variations of single leg calf raise are started standing on a stair and add weight to add intensity.
Seated Calf Raise Exercise
Perform this exercise at home as well as a gym on a calf exercise machine. Let’s see how to work on this exercise at the gym and home.
At the gym
- Adjust yourself in a calf machine keeping the balls of your feet on the platform which will help you lower the heels towards the floor.
- Press your feet balls as possible to raise your heels as high as possible.
- Sit on a chair with feet flat towards the ground and knees directly aligned to your feet.
- Now keep your hands on your thighs near knees and lean forward to add the resistance.
- Press your feet balls as possible to raise your heels as high as possible.
Calf Building Sports
In Running, walking and hiking your calves will be more strengthen especially when you go uphill.
In many sports activities like basketball, soccer it is necessary to run, jump which results in pushing your calf muscle to accelerate.
Also, achieve calf strengthening through dance as well as swimming.
So friends now you have might be understood how to work on muscle to get bigger and stronger legs.